There are seven areas that you may want to pay attention to while you visit with your elderly parents or when spending longer periods of time with them, whether at their home or in yours. These are areas that should raise some concerns so you may want to keep an eye on over the next few months.
ALWAYS WAS NOW
- Great Housekeeper, spotless home Needs good cleaning,
- Promptly handled mail and bills Piles of unopened mail
- Checkbook always balanced Statements not opened
- Had good appetite, ate everything Lost weight, no appetite
- Neat, clean, a fashion-esta! Clothes soiled, poor hygiene
- Excellent cook Not cooking, kitchen mess
- Never late always on time Misses appointments & meds
Ask your siblings to watch for the same 7 areas while they are with your parents and then after the holidays have a sibling meeting to compare your findings in order to have everyone on the page. Hopefully there will be no problems and you can continue to keep an eye out for any changes that may occur. If you and your siblings noticed one or more of the same issues then it may be time to talk with your parents and have a professional evaluation to determine your opinion. Solutions may be simple correct, but it is important to be observant in order to catch things early before things become a major obstacle.
However, remember you are visiting or they are visiting with you, so relax and enjoy the time, but be aware of what may or may not, be going on with your senior parent.