As a child when I was sick, upset, or generally out of sorts; my Irish Nana would brew a fresh pot of tea. Then she would fix me a special cup, loaded with sugar and milk. Whatever was wrong was quickly fixed and I always felt much better with my milky, sweet, Irish Tea!
As I grew older the tea had much less sugar and milk, but Nana’s special tea was the best tea I ever had. I still have Nana’s tea pot and on special occasions I make a pot of tea, but it is not the same! Problems and solutions are not resolved as quickly these days, but a refreshing cup of tea always calms the soul and things do not seem so bad while sipping a nice cup of tea.
I knew Nana used a tea pot, but I really wasn’t too sure what made her tea so special. When I looked on the Web, I found 189,000 links on how: To Make The Perfect Pot of Irish Tea. Here is one I found on LollySmith.com. Not sure if it will be like my Nana’s tea but I will give it a try. Here is what they say to do:
- Fill a kettle with freshly drawn water; reheating water already in the kettle will affect the taste.
- Heat an earthenware or china tea pot. Put hot water in the pot for a few minutes this is called warming the pot.
- Use 1 teaspoonful of tea per person plus 1 for the pot.
- Take the pot to the kettle and pour freshly boiling water over the leaves.
- Leave tea pot steep for a few minutes and stir, after another 2 minutes tea is ready to pour, but no more than 5 minutes after adding boiling water.
If you don’t have loose tea, you can use tea bags in place of loose tea; it is your choice.
Now to really move you from FRAZZLED TO DAZZLED, my tag line, I found a different variation of the tea above; by replacing milk and add Bailey’s® Irish Cream liquor! I really feel that my Nana would have probably enjoyed this version for a special occasion.
I tried making a pot of tea with the recipe above, without the Bailey’s® Irish Cream liquor, and it was good but not quite like Nana’s. Why? It’s hard to say but it is probably because I made it and not Nana! She was the magic ingredient that made the tea so special and it calmed my soul.
So if you are uptight and need to have a little calming of your soul brew yourself a cup of tea and just relax and enjoy!