Twenty five Days until moving day – and counting! Are you ready? Probably not, but don’t panic. Let’s figure out what is done and what you still need to do;
• House is sold and you know the financing is locked in.
• Moving sale finished
• Mover booked,
• Move date confirmed
• You know what you are moving
• You know what needs to be donated
Okay, you are in good shape, because you have been slowly and methodically going through your home cleaning, downsizing, and organizing your home. That is half the battle! Now you just need to finish up a few last minute things and finish packing (unless you are having the movers or someone else do the packing.)
Here are five tips to be finished before moving day:
- DONATIONS – Call or go on-line and schedule a date for the local charity of your choice can come and pick up your donate able items. Do this as soon as possible, because the charities that pick up are not always available in your area, and you may have to wait a week or so before they can pick up your items. Once you have the appointment start removing the items from the house to the garage or into one area of your home. This will make it easier for everyone the day of collection.
- NOTIFICATIONS – You have been preparing for this move now for months, and you think that everyone should know you are moving, BUT you still need to officially notify people, companies, utilities, government agencies, and others of your move. Most of these can be done on-line, or over the phone. Make a list, or print out a sample list from my website; then set aside time to go through the list and make the necessary calls or changes on-line.
- PACKING & MATERIALS – Do one room at a time. Be sure to mark the carton (all 4 sides) with: your name of room (master bedroom or MB), and a few items that are in the cartons (books etc.) and if you know where in the new house it is going to; this way you will have an idea and not have to open every box all at once. It is better to purchase pack materials from the moving company or some other store – Home Depot, U-Haul, etc. These boxes are sturdier and the different sizes that are available are meant for certain items. Liquor or other boxes pick up at the stores to not hold up and you have a tendency of over packing and making them too heavy to handle.
- DAY BEFORE MOVING DAY – Finish any last minute packing and pack a last on and first off box. This is for items that you will need quickly when you arrive at your new home. Such items as: toilet paper, paper towels, coffee maker, coffee, etc. Also disconnect the entertainment center label the cords and remotes and pack them in a separate carton and label the carton. You may also need to return the cable box. Most importantly pack all personal items you will need immediately; such as: medication, linens, clothes, checkbook, etc. So they are ready to take with you in your car NOT on the moving van.
- MOVING DAY – You made it! This is what you need to do today. Load your car with your personal items that you packed yesterday. Quickly check to make sure you have everything you think you will need. Do not worry if you forgot something, I am sure you can get it when you arrive, but this will make things much simpler. Now, relax and let the movers do their job. Everything that you have left in the house should be moving to your new home. Stay close just in case there is a question, but they know exactly what they need to do. At the end, walk through the house (including the attic, basement, garage) to make sure everything is out and on the truck.
Now you are on your way to your new home. What lies ahead is unpacking, arranging, and disposing of packing materials, but take your time and do not rush. It took you time to pack things up and it will take time to get settled in. The big difference is – you are not going any place – there is no need to hurry this process.