Here’s how to organize and downsize a closet – any closet! Here are four steps:
- Gather material and allocate dedicated block of time for project. Materials that you will probably need are: Trash bags, plastic bins, a labeler, and plastic or fabric storage bags or bins for shelves.
- Getting started
- Set up trash bags and plastic bins.
- Empty everything from closet and vacuum
- Map closet so you know where things are going – Dresses, suits, blouses, etc.
- Start sorting the items, ask questions (answer honestly), and only handle the items once-be decisive and make the tough decisions.
- Yes or No questions – will you wear/use again, is it out of style, does it fit?
- If yes then decide if it goes back in closet or in a bin for next season; if no, then it is either trash, donate, or possibly consignment.
- Once the decisions are made – act on them.
These are the same 4 steps you need to do for each and every item in the any closet you have. If there are any items not decided on ask the following questions:
- When was the last time you saw, used, or needed this item?
- Do you know what the item is?
- Does it belong to someone else?
If you don’t know the answer to these questions or others you might come up with, then you do not need the item, so either throw out or donate it.
At the end of your allotted time, you should have a clean, decluttered, and downsized closet. Never allow stress to be part of the process.