Here are 5 tips you should keep in mind if you are planning on moving this summer!
1. Reserve the mover as soon as you know the date, but at least 8 weeks prior to moving day. This is even more important if you need to move at the end or beginning of the month. These days are prime days and most movers, particularly during the summer months (May through September) schedule moves months in advance. Summer time is the peak moving season and it is difficult to schedule premium, reputable movers during this period of time.
2. Never hire a mover sight unseen. If you call a mover and they give you an estimate (time and cost) over the phone without coming out to do a survey, be very careful check them out carefully. Ask for references, insurance certificates, and anything else you can think to do. Reputable movers will insist on doing a visual on-site visit to your residence to assess, measure, and estimate your moving requirements. Typically it is recommended that you get at least 2-3 cost estimates, and a thorough walk through may take from an hour to two hours depending on the size of your move.
3. An estimate is only as good as the information you provide the person doing the estimate. If you tell them you are doing all your own packing, not moving the pool table, any appliances, or the dining room furniture this is the information the estimate based on. At the last minute you decide that you are taking everything and the movers will need to do most or all of the packing then this changes the entire scope of the move. It will cost more money, take more time, and the vehicle allocated (based on the estimate) may not accommodate everything.
4. Packing – DIY or have the mover’s do it? Yes, it will be less expensive to do it yourself but you need to ask yourself a few questions. Do I have the time and know how to pack myself? Will your homeowners insurance cover any breakage to items that you have packed? Are you physically able to do all the packing? Depending on the answers to these and other questions you will know whether or not to let the mover’s do your packing. It is more expensive for mover’s to pack your belongings; however that’s their job and they do it quickly and efficiently. One alternative is to split the task – you pack non-breakable items like, books, clothing, linens, etc. and the mover’s will back the breakables i.e., dishes, china, crystal etc.
5. Start downsizing, organizing, and purging NOW! Please don’t wait until the week before the move to get started, because you will have many sleepless nights prior to your move getting ready. If you are moving in June it is you are about 3 weeks too late getting started. So now is the time to start hustling to be ready for your June move. If you are donating clothing, furniture or small household items you need to call and schedule pickups for these items. Most charities schedule pickups in certain areas at certain times of the month and they often do not coincide with your time schedule. When you have a date and time for a pick up you can now work toward that deadline.