Many people find holiday decorating an impossible task, and will do anything they can to avoid decorating. I personally find decorating is right up there on the list of miserable tasks next to shopping. So I have been trying to think of some really great decorating tip that will make this time of the year less stressful, more enjoyable, and most likely to put you and the rest of your family and friends in the holiday spirit.
So here are my five tips;
- Plan a decorating theme party at your house where the guests bring a theme decoration (or the material to create a decoration) like silk flowers and berries or something unique or edible to decorate the tree.
- Get a pre-lighted tree and leave it a ’natural so everyone’s imaginations run wild and unencumbered.
- Have scented candles strategically and safely placed to create the right mood for decorate, and if you have time and the energy you can make gingerbread people cookies, spice cakes, and anything else you can think of to fill the house with all the wonderful holiday arromas
- Provide plenty of mulled spice cider, eggnog, or something else that will go with the season. Hold off on anything stronger until the decorating is finished – you don’t want to mess with the decorating.
- Provide a little ‘token’ gift of the season for all your willing decorators so they will remember the good time they had decorating your house and they may forget they still need to go home and decorate their own homes.
Oh one last thought, just in case no one comes with any decorations or all else fails bring out all the old vintage decorations to have available. At least everyone can put these decorations on the tree and around the room. Then you can all stand around marvel about what a great job you all did and how great these old decorations still look after all these years. Having some friends and family helping you with your decorations just makes everything seem so special, particularly during the holidays!
Claire LeSage, owner of WITTZ END works with families who are moving on with their lives and need help making this move. The WITTZ END team gives the family more; time to focus on work, family, or other concerns, energy to plan and work on what the future will bring; focus on other issues that need attention; and encouragement to let go of ‘stuff’.